Australian males generally enjoy better health and longer lives than males in most other countries in the world.
Yet, on average, Australian males have a shorter life expectancy than Australian females, and some population groups of males, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander males, have significantly shorter life expectancies than others.
Possible reasons for this include:
- Lack of awareness and understanding of the health issues men face
- Unwillingness to openly discussing their health and how they’re feeling
- Reluctance to take action when men don’t feel physically or mentally well
- Engaging in risky activities that threaten their health
- Stigma surrounding mental health
There are many simple, positive lifestyle changes that men can make to their to improve their health and wellbeing.
Click on the resource links to find out more information about health for men.